Thursday, May 15, 2008

Fun Odds and Ends For a Thursday



fantoche from blu on Vimeo.

Blu draws these stop-motion animations on the walls of galleries or on the exterior of the Tate Modern (for his upcoming show in London). Then voila, a bit of editing later and then you have this cool video. I like how he "whites out" the previous sketch to do a new frame, but you can still see the ghost of the last one. I can't seem to find out where this guy is from. Any ideas?

~

And then there's the reoccuring phenomenon of the Mixed-tape. After re-reco0rdable tapes/cds came onto the market they seemed to such a fixture of the Gen X generation. It's such an easy/frustrating gift for someone. It can be embued with as much or as little meaning as the maker wants. It can have a theme or not. It can turn out amazing and be held onto for years or it can be tossed without as much as listening to one song. Oh, and when a potential love interest hands you a mixed-tape, that's automatically at least 6 hours of listening to that tape for hidden messages about how they really feel.

Found magazine co-founder, Jason Bitner, has created Cassette From My Ex, a site where they collect the stories behind mixed-tapes and then stream the actual tape. Awesome idea. I'm currently listening to Michael Hearst's "scissors and snare drums".


~

When I was working as a secretary there were lots of "following up" on things or blunder fixing. I was always having to call companies and try to get a person on the phone to whom I could ask specific questions about a certian order. I wish I had a list like gethuman.com that would have saved myself a hell of a lot of time listening to all the options, zoning out, having to go through all of them again only to try to not speak clearly for the voice recognition prompts in order to get an operator...took forever (especially since the automated voices always made me zone out and miss what option #2 was)

No comments: