Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Stuff to do in London



Because I love to go to terribly expensive hotels and have afternoon cocktails at least once while on vacation, I throw Sotheby's cafe into the cocktail running.




While in East London--Check out "Curry Mile" at Brick Lane. On Sunday's there are the Spitalfields and Sunday Up fashion markets up and in full swing. Also do some shopping in Absolute Vintage, No One, and Start(59 Rivington St). This is also the place to see a Bansky original!

While in Camden--Markets! (Camden Town stop weekends). Islington Farmers market (William Tyndale School, Upper st) on Sundays from 10-2. Walk along High St and scope out the crazy 3-D signs.


Central London--Oxford Circus is The stop for the 4-story Topshop! And the British version of Forever 21 at Primark. And Paul Smith.

Notting Hill--Portobello market is fruits and veggies from Mon-Thurs, fashion on Fri-Sat, and antiques on Sunday. Also check out Coco Ribbon, Hummingbird Bakery, Paul & Joe, and Tea Palace.





Must go to the Zandra Rhodes Fashion and Textile Museum! And look! They even have a Dandy exhibition up! Note to self--remember to bring sketch pad and pencils.











I read this great book that I mentioned earlier about English Dandies. They noted several "dandified" parts of London and I feel it is necessary to visit as many as possible. The burlesque/synchronized swimming club, The Whoopee Club is one of those noted.






British store Caravan has a great online catalog. More like a "hey, this is what we have...you should come on by" then a "hey, buy me". I can't figure out how to take a screen shot at the moment. Usually I can make it work but it seems like not today. Check out the site! Oh! Ha, I got it to work. Note to self...must exit out of the DVD player in order to take screen shots. I guess the DVD player invalidates those commands which I understand but still, what a pain when wanting to take pictures of great movie wardrobes.

No comments: